The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 7, 1999 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Readers respond to our new look, etc.
- TRB: Live a Little, pp. 6-7
Health care costs are going up again. Is that really such a bad thing?
- White House Watch: Bad Call, pp. 8-10
The president's bungled attempt to be a spin doctor for the Gore campaign
- Vital Center, p. 11
Ehud Barak's election is a victory for the new pragmatic majority in Israeli society
- Groundless, p. 12
The growing confusion at the heart of the Clinton administration's Kosovo strategy
- Jerusalem Dispatch: By, Bye Bibi, pp. 13-14
Why history may be kinder to Netanyahu than the Israeli electorate was, and why Ehud Ba...
- Sisterhood Is Weak, p. 15
What today's feminist journalists could learn from the late Meg Greenfield
- As the Kremlin Turns, p. 16
The latest pointless power struggle in Yeltsin's increasingly illiberal democracy
- Class Struggle, pp. 17-19
Yale's graduate students may never win their campaign for union recognition. But they h...
- Summer's Day, pp. 20-23
Now that Robert Rubin has stepped aside at the Treasury Department, America's economic ...
- The Wrong Race, pp. 24-29
All signs point toward a Hillary-for-Senate run in New York. Democrats seem to think th...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Under Florentine Skies (Review) , pp. 30-31
Tea with Mussolini (1999 Film), by Franco Zeffirelli
- Tea with Mussolini (1999 Film) by Franco Zeffirelli
- On Theater: Spring Roundup, pp. 32-33
Eugene O'Neill, David Hare, Conor McPherson, and Martin McDonagh on Broadway
[+] The Revolution That Never Was (5 Reviews) , pp. 34-41
Against Liberalism, by John Kekes
- Against Liberalism by John Kekes
- A Case for Conservatism by John Kekes
- After Liberalism by Paul E. Gottfried
- Conservatism by Jerry Z. Muller
- The Future and Its Enemies by Virginia Postrel
[+] After Virtue (2 Reviews) , pp. 42-45
Monica's Story, by Andrew Morton
- Monica's Story by Andrew Morton
- All Too Human by George Stephanopoulos
[+] The Fanatic (Review) , pp. 46-47
Truffaut, by Antoine de Baecque and Serge Toubiana
- Truffaut by Antoine de Baecque and Serge Toubiana
- Visiting the Master, pp. 48-49
- Mitteleuropa Diarist: Parallels, pp. 50-52
- On the Cover: Illustation