The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 23, 1999 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Second opinion on the Second Amendment, Hollywood's false view of America, etc.
- TRB: Cash Out, pp. 6-7
What the presidential candidates say they'd do to fix our campaign finance system
- On the Hill: Pie in the Sky, pp. 8-10
What budget surplus?
- The Abuse Excuse, p. 11
Hillary proves that she is a true Clinton
- Notebook, p. 12
Coddling North Korea, stiffing the poor, etc.
- Housemaster, pp. 13-14
Speaker Dennis Hastert has long been perceived as Tom DeLay's puppet. But now Hastert i...
- Bosnia Dispatch: Homecoming, p. 15
In a small corner of Republika Srpska, Bosnian Muslims and Bosnian Serbs are learning t...
- Say Yes to Crack, pp. 16-17
Liberals hate a new program that pays drug addicts to get birth control. But is it real...
- Campaign Journal: Finish Line, pp. 18-21
The slow death of Lamar Alexander's long-sputtering campaign
- Growing the Inner City?, pp. 22-27
What Harlem's experience with capitalism can tell us about Bill Clinton's new "third wa...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Visiting the Great (2 Reviews) , p. 28
The Gambler (1997 Film), by Karoly Makk
- The Gambler (1997 Film) by Karoly Makk
- The Grand Illusion (1938 Film) by Jean Renoir
[+] Dover Beached (Review) , pp. 29-32
God's Funeral, by A.N. Wilson
- God's Funeral by A.N. Wilson
[+] Reason's Secrets (Review) , pp. 33-37
The Renewal of Pagan Antiquity, by Aby Warburg
- The Renewal of Pagan Antiquity by Aby Warburg
[+] Reduction and Betrayal (Review) , pp. 38-42
The Problematics of Moral and Legal Theory, by Richard A. Posner
- The Problematics of Moral and Legal Theory by Richard A. Posner
- Religious Consolation, pp. 43-45
- Washington Diarist: Homework, pp. 46-48
- On the Cover: Illustration