The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 5, 1999 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 6-7
Human cloning, corporate liability, etc.
- TRB: Sorry About That, pp. 8-10
Bill Clinton, cold war apologist
- Tricks of Trade, p. 11
Why the United States is right to fight for free trade in bananas
- Notebook, p. 12
North Korea's nukes, Clinton's fudge, etc.
- Hollywood Dispatch: Oscar Winner, p. 13
Almost five decades after Elia Kazan named names to the House Un-American Activities Co...
- Pro-Lifestyle, pp. 14-15
Anti-abortion crusaders believe they can still win over two-thirds of Americans who sta...
- A Tsar Is Born, pp. 16-18
Could a flashy Russian filmmaker be Russia's next president? Sure---if Prime Minister Y...
- Calm the Casbah, pp. 19-21
Why Algeria's government may have finally won its horried internal war with Islamic ter...
- Journey Man, pp. 22-27
Bill Bradley hits the campaign trail in search of a reason to run for president
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: High Schools, Low Lives (3 Reviews) , p. 28
Cruel Intentions (1999 Film), by Roger Kumble
- Cruel Intentions (1999 Film) by Roger Kumble
- Analyze This (1999 Film) by Harold Ramis
- Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998 Film) by Guy Ritchie
- Oh Theater: The Artifact Museum, pp. 29-31
Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams on Broadway---again
- The Shabby and the Sublime, pp. 32-37
[+] "Mr. Civil Rights" (Review) , pp. 38-39
Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary, by Juan Williams
- Thurgood Marshall: American Revolutionary by Juan Williams
- My Private Tasmania, pp. 40-42
[+] Hairdressers and Democracy (Review) , pp. 43-45
Poisoning the Minds of the Lower Orders, by Don Herzog
- Poisoning the Minds of the Lower Orders by Don Herzog
- New York Diarist: Misreadings, pp. 46-48
- Cover, Illustration