The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 9, 1998 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-6
Debating Soviet history, funding public art, etc.
- TRB: Busted, pp. 7-8
Is the arrest of General Pinochet a victory for international law or a reminder of its ...
- School Choice, p. 9
The stakes in California's education-reform referendum
- Notebook, p. 10
Wye wait, Borking Microsoft, etc.
- Campaign '98: Parris Is Burning, p. 11
Maryland is enjoying record-low unemployment, crime, and welfare dependency. So why is ...
- Campaign '98: Bush Wacked, pp. 12-13
Florida Lieutenant Governor Kenneth "Buddy" MacKay's ill-fated run against the new and ...
- Martin's Move, pp. 14-15
The mutation of Martin Indyk from key AIPAC operative to Israel's least favorite Clinto...
- Sound Investment, pp. 16-17
The stock market can still save Social Security. But only if Uncle Sam does the investing
- Get Shorty, pp. 18-20
Ace short-seller Manuel P. Asensio makes his millions by picking on failing companies. ...
- Viewer Discretion Advised, pp. 21-22
CNN's tendentious take on the cold ward
- Indian Summer, pp. 23-27
The Republicans say they are about to establish a new majority, just like the New Deal ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Way We Love (Review) , pp. 28-29
Happiness (1998 Film), by Todd Solondz
- Happiness (1998 Film) by Todd Solondz
[+] The Gay Science (5 Reviews) , pp. 30-41
A Small Boy and Others, by Michael Moon
- A Small Boy and Others by Michael Moon
- Between Men by Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick
- Novel Gazing by Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick
- Saint Foucault by David M. Halperin
- Fear of a Queer Planet by Michael Warner
[+] Rights Under Fire (Review) , pp. 42-43
All the Laws But One, by William H. Rehnquist
- All the Laws But One by William H. Rehnquist
- The Brief Appearance of the Equable Man, pp. 44-46
[+] A Child of the Century (Review) , pp. 47-49
Man from Babel, by Eugene Jolas, Andreas Kramer, and Rainer Rumold
- Man from Babel by Eugene Jolas, Andreas Kramer, and Rainer Rumold
- Washington Diarist: Shrunken, pp. 50-52
- Cover photograph