The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 2, 1998 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Clinton's id, Bush's superego, etc.
- TRB: Super Markets, p. 6
Don't blame capitalism for the global financial crisis
- The Hate Debate, p. 7
Hate crimes against gays are a serious problem, but new hate-crime laws are not a serio...
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The Kosovo conundrum, a Nobel soul, etc.
- White House Watch: The Ladies Vanish, p. 10
Clinton has arguably done more for working moms than any other president. So why are th...
- On the Hill: Trent's Bent, p. 11
One of the strongest and most cogent cases against impeachment was made 24 years ago---...
- Undone Deal, pp. 12-13
The upcoming Israeli-Palestinian summit could well produce an agreement. But implementi...
- Campaign '98: Schumer or Later, pp. 14-16
Thanks to Bill Clinton, Charles Schumer is the first Democrat with a chance to beat Alf...
- The Global Fix, pp. 17-19
The problem with global capitalism is that it doesn't, and can't, really exist. The wor...
Is Deflation Coming?: An Exchange
- Meltdown in the making, p. 20
- Don't panic , p. 21
- Not Your Average Joe, pp. 22-25
The unorthodox politics of Senator Joseph Lieberman
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Two Gatherings (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Bad Manners (1998 Film), by Jonathan Kaufer
- Bad Manners (1998 Film) by Jonathan Kaufer
- The Celebration (1998 Film) by Thomas Vinterberg
- On Theater: Ways to Break the Silence, pp. 27-28
Theatrical magic is made from spectable in Villa Villa and from eloquence in Wit
[+] The Right to Live (Review) , pp. 29-33
Freedom to Die, by Derek Humphry and Mary Clement
- Freedom to Die by Derek Humphry and Mary Clement
- Last Afternoon in Athens, pp. 34-35
[+] The Spirit of '98 (Review) , pp. 36-37
Citizen Lord, by Stella Tillyard
- Citizen Lord by Stella Tillyard
[+] The Unrealist (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol, by Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky, and Nikol...
- The Collected Tales of Nikolai Gogol by Richard Pevear, Larissa Volokhonsky, and Nikolai Vasilevich Gogol, ...
- Warsaw Diarist: Identity Politics, pp. 42-44
- Cover illustration