The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 20, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The Glass affair, Mortimer replies, etc.
- TRB: Control Freaks, p. 6
China's apologists unveil a new theory: Repression now will lead to more democracy later
- Anti-Expressionism, p. 7
The Supreme Court's new cure for sexual harassment may well be worse than the disease
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Upheaval at the Holocaust Museum, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Disunited, p. 10
Why it will take more than a common currency to create a common political culture in Eu...
- White House Watch: The Deputy, pp. 11-12
Maria Echaveste's rise through the ranks in the diversity-conscious West Wing
- On the Hill: Noble's Cause, p. 13
House Republicans have a new strategy for dealing with the pesty government lawyer who ...
- China Closet, pp. 14-15
Why the government in Beijing still can't admit what really happened in Tiananmen Squar...
- Firestarters, pp. 16-18
The day the Ku Klux Klan, the New Black Panthers, and the national press corps descende...
- Stop the Celebration, pp. 19-21
Maybe it takes an Englishman to realize that the flaws in American democracy aren't a p...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Culture Gapping (Review) , pp. 22-23
Differences in the Dark, by Michael T. Gilmore
- Differences in the Dark by Michael T. Gilmore
[+] Quality Wings (5 Reviews) , pp. 24-31
When Angels Speak, by Martha Williamson
- When Angels Speak by Martha Williamson
- Angel Voices by Karen Goldman
- Angelspeake: A Guide by Barbara Mark and Trudy Griswold
- Angel Energy by John Randolph Price
- Ask Your Angels by Alma Daniel, Timothy Wyllie, and Andrew Ramer
[+] The Perfectionist (Review) , pp. 32-34
Maybe One, by Bill McKibben
- Maybe One by Bill McKibben
- Calendar Girl, pp. 35-37
[+] The Good Old Bad Old Days (Review) , pp. 38-41
Parting from Phantoms, by Christa Wolf
- Parting from Phantoms by Christa Wolf
- New York Diarist: Leader of the Pack, pp. 42-44
- Cover Illustration