The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 6, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
College presidents criticized, Salinger replies, etc.
- TRB: Trouble Spot, pp. 6-8
Why the U.S. should not rush into Kosovo
- A Question of Content, p. 9
Steven Brill's attention-grabbing charge that Ken Starr violated the law by leaking to ...
- Notebook, p. 10
North Korean blackmail, home news, etc.
- The Hard Questions: My RFK, p. 11
Was Bobby Kennedy really a liberal?
- Vouched For, pp. 12-13
Whatever its merits as policy, school choice is constitutional---or at least should be
- Goldman Rush, pp. 14-15
The last great investment partnership goes public
- White House Watch: Day Tripper, p. 16
Clinton gets ready to bring his theme-of-the-day press-management technique to China
- High Drama, p. 17
Is the celebrity of Tibet, the cause, obscruring the tragedy in Tibet, the country?
- Protest.org, pp. 18-20
The Chinese government faces a new threat: dissidents in cyberspace
- Beijing Bull, pp. 21-22
China is neither as dangerous as critics of U.S. policy say nor as benign as makers of ...
- Barney Rumbles, pp. 23-27
If impeachment becomes a real danger, the White House figures it can count on feisty Re...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Classics and Confrontations (5 Reviews) , p. 28
Passion in the Desert (1997 Film), by Lavinia Currier
- Passion in the Desert (1997 Film) by Lavinia Currier
- Cousin Bette (1998 Film) by Des McAnuff
- Coming Out (1989 Film) by Heiner Carow
- Gerrie and Louise (1997 Film) by Sturla Gunnarsson
- Beyond Barbed Wire (1997 Film) by Steve Rosen
[+] Almost Justice (Review) , pp. 29-37
To End A War, by Richard Holbrooke
- To End A War by Richard Holbrooke
[+] The Right Thread (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Rings of Saturn, by W.G. Sebald
- The Rings of Saturn by W.G. Sebald
[+] To Criticize the Critic (Review) , pp. 42-43
Irving Howe: Socialist, Critic, Jew, by Edward Alexander
- Irving Howe: Socialist, Critic, Jew by Edward Alexander
- On the Bus to Utica, pp. 44-45
- Washington Diarist: Indirect Rule, pp. 46-48
- Cover, Illustration