The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 26, 1998 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Dick Armey defends the flat tax, etc.
- TRB: Self-Serve, p. 6
A higher tax on gasoline could save the world. The American people won't stand for it
- Payroll Payback, p. 7
Social Security taxes clobber the poor and destroy jobs. Finally, reform may be on the way
- Notebook, p. 8
Newt debates Clinton, The New York Times debates itself, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Bad Boys, p. 9
Why we forgive wayard Kennedys
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Bibi King, pp. 10-11
Netanyahu's latest stumble reveals a lot about his own weaknesses---and the consequence...
- Melrose Case, pp. 12-13
Hollywood attorney Gloria Allred's crusade against sexism, real and imaginary
- New York Postcard: Queens Drama, pp. 14-15
Fans of Portugal try to build a monument in an outer borough, and suddenly it's Bonfire...
- Gift of the Magnate, pp. 16-19
The not-so-selfless agenda behind Ted Turner's acclaimed donation to the United Nations
- Slamming Gates, pp. 20-23
If Microsoft's critics could get past their petty jealousies and latent technophobia, t...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Tough Guys and Others (2 Reviews) , p. 24
Jackie Brown (1997 Film), by Quentin Tarantino
- Jackie Brown (1997 Film) by Quentin Tarantino
- Ma Vie en Rose (1997 Film) by Alain Berliner
- On Art: Acropolis Now, pp. 25-30
The corporate kitsch of the Getty Center
[+] Accurate Gusto (Review) , pp. 31-35
The Selected Letters of Marianne Moore, by Bonnie Costello, Celeste Goodridge, and Cris...
- The Selected Letters of Marianne Moore by Bonnie Costello, Celeste Goodridge, and Cristanne Miller, ...
- Real Time, pp. 36-37
[+] Lookism (2 Reviews) , pp. 38-41
Hogarth: A Life and a World, by Jenny Uglow
- Hogarth: A Life and a World by Jenny Uglow
- Hogarth and His Times by David Bindman
- California Diarist: Our Business, pp. 42-44
- Cover, Illustration