The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 20, 1998 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Sidney Blumenthal on Monica, Stanley Hoffmann on Iraq, etc.
- TRB: Preemptive Strike, p. 6
The character questions about President Clinton are hardly unprecedents. Just ask Presi...
- Case Closed, p. 7
Winners and losers in the Paul Jones case
- Notebook, p. 8
Palestinian parenting, Foley follies, etc.
- The Hard Questions: Sorry About That, p. 9
When is it right for governments to apologize?
- On the Hill: Ads Hominem, p. 10
Bimbroglio makes its debut in congressional campaign commercials
- Warheadache, p. 11
The trouble with the Clinton administration's effort to stop Russia from aiding Iran's ...
- Very Pat, pp. 12-14
Senator Daniel Patrick Moynihan's (not so) courageous plan to (not exactly) save Social...
- The New Order, pp. 15-16
Hong Kong's new masters insist that little has changed since Beijing took over. Meanwhi...
- All the Way to Timbuktu, pp. 17-18
A sentimental journey to the historical center of Africa's intellectual life
- Roll Out the Barrel, pp. 19-23
The opponents of pork-barrel spending are at it again---this time decrying the fat new ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Wag the Tale (Review) , p. 24
Primary Colors (1998 Film), by Mike Nichols
- Primary Colors (1998 Film) by Mike Nichols
- On Art: Death and Realism, pp. 25-29
Chuck Close's facile gridlock
- Corvo, for Levi, pp. 30-31
- The Incompatibilities, pp. 32-37
[+] The Enemy Within (Review) , pp. 38-39
The Gospel of Germs, by Nancy Tomes
- The Gospel of Germs by Nancy Tomes
[+] Late Expectations (Review) , pp. 40-41
Jack Maggs, by Peter Carey
- Jack Maggs by Peter Carey
- Washington Diarist: High Lying, pp. 42-44
- Cover Photograph