The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 8, 1997 Issue - 20 Articles
- The God That Did Not Fail, pp. 2-3
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Sen and sensibility, Powers and censorship, etc.
- TRB: Op City, p. 6
Johnny Chung and the sleaze factor
- Bad Cop, Good Cops, p. 7
Is New York's aggressive policing too aggressive?
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Summer snooze, Gingrich blues, B.U. news, etc.
- Largess Oblige, p. 10
Nobody noticed Gore's pet budget item except a few Democratic mayors---which was precis...
- Cambridge Postcard: Geek Chic, p. 11
MIT achieved gender parity without the usual admissions tricks. Now the girls are just ...
- Growth Pains, pp. 12-14
More Republican fratricide: Kemp v. Forbes
- Reformulation, pp. 15-17
Democrats always pretended they were for campaign finance reform. Now they mean it, for...
- Baltimore Postcard: Murder, I Wrote, pp. 18-19
How "Homicide" turned real
- The Young and the Feckless, pp. 20-26
Over the last thirty years, civil rights hero Andrew Young has cultivated a reputation ...
- The Hard Questions: Re-Orient, p. 27
The perils of Yellow Peril
Books and the Arts
- On Films: A Lost Love?, p. 28
[+] Chicks and Chuckles (Review) , pp. 29-37
Bettie Page, by Karen Essex and James L. Swanson
- Bettie Page by Karen Essex and James L. Swanson
[+] After the Revolution (Review) , pp. 38-40
Mexico: Biography of Power, by Enrique Krauze
- Mexico: Biography of Power by Enrique Krauze
[+] Love in the Ruins (2 Reviews) , pp. 41-43
Walker Percy: A Life, by Patrick H. Samway
- Walker Percy: A Life by Patrick H. Samway
- The Correspondence of Shelby Foote and Walker Percy by Jay Tolson, Shelby Foote, and Walker Percy
- Mole Rhapsody, pp. 44-45
- Washington Diarist: Zionism at 100 - Distinctionism, p. 46
- Zionism at 100, pp. 1-48