The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 1, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Holbrooke returns fire, etc.
- TRB: A Promise Kept, p. 6
He really did end welfare as we know it
- Offensive Line, p. 7
Thank goodness Clinton invoked the line item veto. Now we can see how absurd it is
- Notebook, p. 8
Helm's grudge, the Internet's Drudge, etc.
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Unorthodox Riot, p. 9
Scenes from an Israeli melee that pitted Jew against Jew
- Speech Impediment, p. 10
When Wisconsin tried to clean up campaign finance, it swept away the First Amendment. W...
- Before and NAFTA, pp. 11-13
Why Hispanics suddenly resent the free trade agreement with Mexico, and what that means...
- From the Ramparts, p. 14
The end of home rule in D.C. means the end of one of the worst of all ideas---protest p...
- Cambridge Postcard: Heil Harvard, pp. 15-16
Where does Europe's leading far-right nationalist go to get his democratic bona fides? ...
- National Insecurity: The Spy Who Got Left in the Cold, pp. 17-18
A high-ranking North Korean defector warns that his nation still wants to turn the Sout...
- The Spinster, pp. 19-22
White House special counsel Lanny Davis has done the impossible: he's spun the Clinton ...
- The Hard Questions: Ad Nauseum, p. 23
How corporate America turned school blackboards into billboards
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: No Trifling With Love (Review) , p. 24
In the Company of Men (1997 Film), by Neil LaBute
- In the Company of Men (1997 Film) by Neil LaBute
[+] Man the Machine (Review) , pp. 25-31
The One Best Way, by Robert Kanigel
- The One Best Way by Robert Kanigel
[+] Paris Blues (Review) , pp. 32-34
Realms of Memory, by Lawrence D. Kritzman
- Realms of Memory by Lawrence D. Kritzman
- Fessing Up, p. 35
[+] The Political Moralist (Review) , pp. 36-41
Hypocrisy and Integrity, by Ruth W. Grant
- Hypocrisy and Integrity by Ruth W. Grant
- Washington Diarist: The Old Country, pp. 42-44