The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 27, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Passing the Buckley, pp. 4-5
How creative judicial thinking could save campaign finance reform
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Jude Winniski decides not to run for president, etc.
- Go Ballistic, p. 9
Why the U.S. should bully Iran
- Notebook, p. 10
Castro joins the literati, etc.
- Promise Weepers, p. 11
How burly conservatives became sissies
- Bittersweet, p. 12
Did Nestle's Magic candy really threaten the kiddies---or simply a competitor?
- Orange County Postcard: Hasta La Vista, p. 13
Robert Dornan wants his House seat back, and he may even get it. But at what price to t...
- Testing, Testing, pp. 14-16
Think national education standards are controversial now? Just wait until the public ge...
- Sexual Healing, pp. 17-19
Meet the latest victims of sexual harassment: the harassers
- Robespierre of the Right, pp. 20-24
Paul Weyrich and a growing number of conservatives want to keep the Republican Party pu...
- The Hard Questions: Superpower Failure, p. 25
Why the U.S. should not bully Iran
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Wait a While (2 Reviews) , p. 26
The Edge (1997 Film), by Lee Tamahori
- The Edge (1997 Film) by Lee Tamahori
- U-Turn (1997 Film) by Oliver Stone
[+] Prometheus Unhinged (Review) , pp. 27-30
The Aryan Christ, by Richard Noll
- The Aryan Christ by Richard Noll
- A Portrait, pp. 31-34
[+] Who Killed Frank Steunenberg? (Review) , pp. 35-37
Big Trouble, by J. Anthony Lukas
- Big Trouble by J. Anthony Lukas
[+] Incest and Idealism (Review) , pp. 38-41
Desire, by Frank Bidart
- Desire by Frank Bidart
- Washington Diarist: Bus Boy, pp. 42-44