The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 6, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Impeach Gore, pp. 4-5
Forget Janet Reno. Forget the independent counsel. The Constitution says it's Congress'...
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Defining disabilities, castrating rapists, etc.
- New Congo Old Excuses, p. 9
- Getting Even , p. 10
- Notebook, p. 10
Right-wing obscenity on the Internet, etc.
- Washington Scene: Slumming It, p. 11
How the federal government spent millions of dollars making a bad neighborhood worse
- Lima Dispatch: Creeping Coup, pp. 12-14
For years, President Alberto Fujimori has given Peru's armed forces all the power and i...
- Cheap Suits, p. 15
Larry Klayman's zest for litigation against the Clinton administration has made him the...
- Unplanned, pp. 16-19
Under George Kennan, the State Department's Policy Planning Staff was a primary archite...
- Moral Capital, p. 20
Why Christian conservatives think Cheerios are destroying America's families
- Hard Labor, pp. 21-26
In two years as president of the AFL-CIO, John Sweeney has managed to save the labor mo...
- The Hard Questions: Old School, p. 27
Bureaucratic big-city education systems used to work. What went wrong?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Cinema Scope (3 Reviews) , p. 28
Lawrence of Arabia (1962 Film), by David Lean
- Lawrence of Arabia (1962 Film) by David Lean
- The Myth of Fingerprints (1997 Film) by Bart Freundlich
- Going All the Way (1997 Film) by Mark Pellington
- On Theater: Mend It, Don't End It, pp. 29-30
Why the National Endowment for the Arts needs repair, not retirement
[+] The Church of Appearances (Review) , pp. 31-36
Just As I Am, by Billy Graham
- Just As I Am by Billy Graham
[+] The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly (Review) , pp. 37-39
The Ghosts of Berlin, by Brian Ladd
- The Ghosts of Berlin by Brian Ladd
- Marilyn Monroe on a Merry-go-round, pp. 40-41
- Hamburg Diarist: Photo Negative, pp. 42-44