The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 10, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- TRB: Choose or Lose, pp. 4-5
It's time for liberals to get over their opposition to school choice
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
David Shipler v. Alan Wolfe, etc.
- A New China Strategy, p. 9
With Jiang Zemin visiting the U.S., this is a good time to junk our policy of "comprehe...
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Clinton caves, Novak raves, etc.
- The Hard Questions: True Confessions, p. 12
The moral and political wisdom of South Africa's truth commission
- Trick and Mistreat, p. 13
Why you should stiff those well-meaning children who ask for UNICEF donations at Halloween
- Colombia Dispatch: Running Scared, pp. 14-15
Diego Turbay will make a great mayor---if Marxist guerrillas don't kill him before elec...
- Cure All, pp. 16-18
Spending on medical research has grown fourfold; we've made great strides in microbiolo...
- Swamped in Jersey, pp. 19-20
National political reporters love Christine Todd Whitman. Unfortunately for her, not ma...
- College Cop-Out, pp. 21-23
What universities aren't telling you about crime on campus
- Don't Touch This, pp. 24-31
New antibacterial products make it possible for you to spend every waking---and sleepin...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Rake's Progress (Review) , p. 32
Boogie Nights (1997 Film), by Paul Thomas Anderson
- Boogie Nights (1997 Film) by Paul Thomas Anderson
[+] On Dance: Enigma Variations (Review) , pp. 33-37
Secret Muses, by Julie Kavanagh
- Secret Muses by Julie Kavanagh
[+] Black Noise (Review) , pp. 38-43
Underworld, by Don DeLillo
- Underworld by Don DeLillo
[+] The Contagion of Liberty (Review) , pp. 44-45
Black Jacks, by W. Jeffrey Bolster
- Black Jacks by W. Jeffrey Bolster
- Epiphanies against the dark, pp. 46-47
[+] Divine Criticism (Review) , pp. 48-49
God and the American Writer, by Alfred Kazin
- God and the American Writer by Alfred Kazin
- New York Diarist: Benched, pp. 50-52