The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
March 17, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Right and Righteous, pp. 4-5
Does Clinton know the difference?
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Inaugural outrage: Bolton fans rage, aging lefties protest, etc.
- Destructive Engagement II, p. 9
Making nice with North Korea
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Chevy Chase's White House vacation, Newt and Trent's welfare moms, etc.
- Where He Stood, p. 12
Albert Shanker spent a lifetime fighting for what he thought was right, and time proved...
- On the Hill: Losing Balance, p. 13
Democrats and Republicans dared each other on the Balanced Budget Amendment, and both lost
- Certifiable, pp. 14-18
Mexico, riddled with narco-corruption, has become America's main drug supplier. The Whi...
- Tijuana Dispatch: Blood and Sand, pp. 19-20
The drug lords rule in this city on America's southern border---and every copy who figh...
- Tel Aviv Postcard: Unorthodox, pp. 21-22
Two men who aren't supposed to exist talk of God and politics in a bohemian cafe
- The Madness of Speaker Newt, pp. 23-26
Three years ago, Newt Gingrich's friends said he was a prophet and a giant. Now, they w...
- The Hard Questions: Fidelity, p. 27
America's passion: getting Castro
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Criminal Appeal (2 Reviews) , p. 28
Absolute Power (1997 Film), by Clint Eastwood
- Absolute Power (1997 Film) by Clint Eastwood
- Le Samourai (1967 Film) by Jean-Pierre Melville
[+] The All of the If (Review) , pp. 29-34
Herman Melville: A Biography, Vol. I: 1819-1851, by Hershel Parker
- Herman Melville: A Biography, Vol. I: 1819-1851 by Hershel Parker
- Anhinga, p. 35
[+] Chicago Wright Viennese (Review) , pp. 36-39
The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright, by Neil Levine and Frank Lloyd Wright
- The Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright by Neil Levine and Frank Lloyd Wright
[+] Civilization and Its Malcontent (3 Reviews) , pp. 40-45
Jean-Jacques, by Maurice Cranston
- Jean-Jacques by Maurice Cranston
- The Noble Savage: Jean-Jacques Rousseau, 1754-1762 by Maurice Cranston
- The Solitary Self by Maurice Cranston
- Hastings-on-Hudson Diarist: Not So Smart, pp. 46-48
- Cover, illustration