The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 30, 1997 Issue - 16 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Jack Lessenberry v. Michael Betzold, Rita Hayes v. John Judis, etc.
- TRB: The Reich Stuff, p. 6
The secret life of a Secretary of Labor
- The Healing Game, p. 7
The president makes nice on race
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Dr. Death's CD stunt, Clinton's seedy stunt, etc.
- Less Is More, p. 10
What do you do if you're a supply-side economist and history proved you wrong? Cook the...
- On the Hill: Troubled Waters, pp. 11-12
Maxine Waters's rants about CIA conspiracies and Ebonics make her a hero in her distric...
- Baghdad Dispatch: Sounds of Silence, pp. 13-15
State repression makes every dissident think he is alone, but hating Saddam has become ...
- The Pride of the Cities, pp. 16-24
A new breed of mayors are reclaiming the Progressive tradition by making efficient gove...
- The Hard Questions: Getting a Fix, p. 25
Does the war on drugs discriminate against blacks?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Old Places, New Looks (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Chronicle of a Disappearance (1996 Film), by Elia Suleiman
- Chronicle of a Disappearance (1996 Film) by Elia Suleiman
- When the Cat's Away (1997 Film) by Cedric Klapisch
[+] Finite Jest (2 Reviews) , pp. 27-33
A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never do Again, by David Foster Wallace
- A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never do Again by David Foster Wallace
- Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace
[+] Pluribus (Review) , p. 34
American Scripture, by Pauline Maier
- American Scripture by Pauline Maier
- A Roman, pp. 35-37
[+] Boxed Spirit (Review) , pp. 38-42
Utopia Parkway, by Deborah Solomon
- Utopia Parkway by Deborah Solomon
- Washington Diarist: Beating the Wrap, pp. 43-44