The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 23, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Howard Kurtz v. Bill Powers, Georgia v. Robyn Gearey, etc.
- TRB: In the Pipeline, p. 6
With the Tamraz case, the Clinton fund-raising scandal has its quid pro quo
- C'est Fini, p. 7
The French commit political suicide. And that's only the beginning of the good news
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The GOP burns its house, Sidney Blumenthal goes home, etc.
- Mediz Rex: Feeding Tube, p. 10
The greatest American invention yet is here: subliminal weight loss through television
- Hud Sucker Proxy, pp. 11-13
Washington's new scheme for public housing---keep out the poor
- Unsound Constitution, pp. 14-18
Timothy McVeigh thought he was being faithful to the Founding Fathers. In a sense, horr...
- Sleeping With the Enemy, pp. 19-21
The new, new Army: how the most tradition-minded, socially conservative and overwhelmin...
- Offices and Gentlemen, pp. 22-28
Workplace harassment rules have turned corporate bosses into the thought police. No mor...
- The Hard Questions: Unsolved Mysteries, p. 29
Who's really making the streets saver?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Around the World in Twenty Films (4 Reviews) , p. 30
Bye-Bye Babushka (1997 Film), by Rebecca Feig
- Bye-Bye Babushka (1997 Film) by Rebecca Feig
- Stories of Honor and Shame (1997 Film) by Antonia Caccia
- A Petal (1996 Film) by Sun-Woo Jang
- Flame (1996 Film) by Ingrid Sinclair
[+] Swan's Way (Review) , pp. 31-35
W. B. Yeats: A Life, Vol. I, by R.F. Foster
- W. B. Yeats: A Life, Vol. I by R.F. Foster
[+] The Art of Shi (Review) , pp. 36-38
Cultural Realism, by Alastair Iain Johnston
- Cultural Realism by Alastair Iain Johnston
- Centenary, pp. 39-40
[+] Thou Shalt Not Kill (Review) , pp. 41-45
The Curse of Cain, by Regina M. Schwartz
- The Curse of Cain by Regina M. Schwartz
- London Diarist: Bombed by Reality, pp. 46-48