The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 9, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Antonin Scalia, handsome dog, etc.
- TRB: In Principle, p. 6
Dick Gephardt takes the first of many hands
- Voice Lessons, p. 7
Bill Clinton's new offensive against AIDS
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
David Hackworth isn't embarrassed, the GOP should be, etc.
- The John-John Interview: Mobutu, p. 10
My latest chat with a really neat guy
- Media Rex: Getting Kathie Lee, p. 11
The Washington Post says the supermarket tabloids are a national disgrace. Actually, th...
- Bust Busting, pp. 12-14
Has Robert Rubin ended the business cycle?
- What I Sold at the Revolution, pp. 15-19
Meet Grover G. Norquist, strategist to Newt and a passionate, antigovernment radical wh...
- Peddling Poppy, pp. 20-28
A lot of people have a lot riding on making sure history does not brand George Bush the...
- The Hard Questions: Feed the Face, p. 29
The real case against assisted suicide
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: In the Course of Time (3 Reviews) , pp. 30-31
Brassed Off! (1997 Film), by Mark Herman
- Brassed Off! (1997 Film) by Mark Herman
- Love! Valour! Compassion! (1997 Film) by Joe Mantello
- Eye on the World by Judy Stone
- On Theater: Funding Audiences, pp. 32-33
The Lila Wallace-Reader's Digest Fund and the influence of external money on internal a...
[+] Bad Faith (Review) , pp. 34-37
A Critique of Adjudication, by Duncan Kennedy
- A Critique of Adjudication by Duncan Kennedy
[+] The Tramp Rush (Review) , pp. 38-41
Charlie Chaplin and His Times, by Kenneth S. Lynn
- Charlie Chaplin and His Times by Kenneth S. Lynn
- Gift, pp. 42-43
[+] The Penitent (Review) , pp. 44-49
Aleksander Wat, by Tomas Venclova
- Aleksander Wat by Tomas Venclova
- Washington Diarist: Immemorial, pp. 50-52