The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 7, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Defending Joe Kennedy, Jeffrey MacDonald, etc.
- TRB: The Great Divider, p. 6
The president looks for a legacy
- Capital Loss, p. 7
The capital gains tax cut---still crazy after all these years
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The president regrets, the Post represses
- Bad Medicine, p. 10
Health-care reform is dying its second death
- On the Hill: Courting Disaster, p. 11
The untold story behind the flood relief bill is how both parties gleefully used it to ...
- Gold Diggers, pp. 12-14
A quid pro quo pipes up in court
- Media Rex: Censor This, p. 15
Read at your own peril: according to media watchdogs, the magazine in your hands is bei...
- A Real Turkey, pp. 16-18
Tansu Ciller is an ambitious and duplicitous politician who has pushed Turkey to the br...
- Christian Rights, pp. 19-24
The White House and most of the human rights community don't think the persecution of C...
- The Hard Questions: Crying for Justice, p. 25
Should victims' tearful testimony influence sentencing?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Work of Their Lives (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Ulee's Gold (1997 Film), by Victor Nunez
- Ulee's Gold (1997 Film) by Victor Nunez
- Gabbeh (1997 Film) by Mohsen Makhmalbaf
- On Theater: Homogenized Diversity, pp. 27-28
The new production of A Doll's House is an ideological misreading of Ibsen; How I Learn...
[+] Devotion and Hostility (Review) , pp. 29-31
The Courage to Stand Alone, by Jingsheng Wei
- The Courage to Stand Alone by Jingsheng Wei
[+] Hidden Injuries (Review) , pp. 32-35
Contempt and Pity, by Daryl Michael Scott
- Contempt and Pity by Daryl Michael Scott
[+] The Indigenous Berserk (Review) , pp. 36-39
American Pastoral, by Philip Roth
- American Pastoral by Philip Roth
- Departure, pp. 40-41
- Cambridge Diarist: Off the Map, pp. 42-44