The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 27, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The food police dish TRN, etc.
- TRB: Why It Matters (II), p. 6
There is a reason why it's illegal for foreigners to give money to our pols
- A Kevorkian Cure, p. 7
Privatizing Social Security is the kind of cure that kills the patient
- Notebook, p. 8
Newt weasel through. Fallows rescues the world, etc.
- Hard Time, p. 9
Behind Peru's hostage crisis is a fierce battle over who will run the country's prisons...
- The Unhoused, pp. 10-11
A plan for saving a vital housing program before it's too late
- New York Story, pp. 12-15
The falling murder rate in New York City proves that you don't have to solve the root c...
- Holy Trinity, pp. 16-18
How St. Paul, St. Peter and St. Warren made deficit-cutting the new gospel of American ...
- The Great Savings Scare, pp. 19-24
How the Concord Coalition misread the economy and scared themselves silly
- The Hard Questions: Blacks Only?, p. 25
Should we preserve affirmative action for one group?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: At Elsinore (Review) , pp. 26-27
Hamlet (1996 Film), by Kenneth Branagh
- Hamlet (1996 Film) by Kenneth Branagh
- Prophet and Loss, pp. 28-30
[+] The Distant Sound (3 Reviews) , pp. 31-35
Kurt Weill: An Illustrated Life, by Jurgen Schebera
- Kurt Weill: An Illustrated Life by Jurgen Schebera
- Speak Low (When You Speak Love) by Kurt Weill, Lotte Lenya, Lys Symonette, and Kim H. Kowalke, ...
- Franz Schreker, 1878-1934 by Christopher Hailey
- Self-Portrait as Four Styles of Pompeian Wall Painting, pp. 36-37
[+] The Never-Ending Herstory (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Prospect Before Her, by Olwen Hufton
- The Prospect Before Her by Olwen Hufton
- Washington Diarist: C-Span and Ganaches, pp. 42-44
- Cover, illustration