The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 20, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
What Washington, Madison and Ralph Nader have in common, etc.
- TRB: Why It Matters, p. 6
Bill Clinton is corrupting the White House
- Wright and Wrong, p. 7
The Christmas that stole Gingrich
- Notebook, p. 8
Hollywood bows to China, saves the great books, etc.
- Death of Home Rule (I): Smoke Alarm, p. 9
My firehouse needs your ladder. Also your mattress, your showerheads and any ketchup yo...
- Death of Home Rule (II): In Loco Parentis, pp. 10-11
Washington has some fine public schools. Because parents have taken over
- Death of Home Rule (III): A Capital Crime, pp. 12-13
A man is killed, a defunct police force does almost nothing and a benumbed city barely ...
- Media Rex: Making Sausages, pp. 14-16
Food Lion's victory against "Prime-Time Live" has press defenders howling. But did the ...
- Speech Therapy, pp. 17-19
Pundits are slamming the Oakland school board for calling black English a separate lang...
- Death of Home Rule (IV): Democracy's Discontent, pp. 20-22
In the 1960s, the people of the District of Columbia demanded democratic self-governmen...
- The Hard Questions: Looks That Kill, p. 23
Body v. soul
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Merchant of Venus (2 Reviews) , pp. 24-25
The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996 Film), by Milos Forman
- The People vs. Larry Flynt (1996 Film) by Milos Forman
- One Fine Day (1996 Film) by Michael Hoffman
[+] The Universalist (Review) , pp. 26-29
Recollected Works of Abraham Lincoln, by Don E. Fehrenbacher and Virginia Fehrenbacher,...
- Recollected Works of Abraham Lincoln by Don E. Fehrenbacher and Virginia Fehrenbacher, ...
[+] The Philosopher of Life (Review) , pp. 30-34
Mortality and Morality, by Hans Jonas and Lawrence Vogel
- Mortality and Morality by Hans Jonas and Lawrence Vogel
- Come on, Dear, pp. 35-37
[+] The Common Reader (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Uncollected Critical Writings, by Edith Wharton and Frederick Wegener
- The Uncollected Critical Writings by Edith Wharton and Frederick Wegener
- Washington Diarist: Spanking the City, pp. 42-43
- Cover, illustration