The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 3, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Frank Sulloway v. Alan Wolfe on birth, science and order, etc.
- TRB: Total War, p. 6
What the Gingrich cell phone affair tells us about the political climate
- Toward True Peace, p. 7
How, realistically, to build on Hebron
- Notebook, p. 8
Kemp garbles Shakespeare, Clinton saves Washington, etc.
- Cooked Book, p. 9
Newt's defense is that he didn't line his pockets like Jim Wright did. Oh, yew he did. ...
- Media Rex: Chain of Command, p. 10
A conspiracy against the president?
- Educating Feddie, pp. 11-13
The Department of Energy is trying to teach its new boss something about energy. It's n...
- One Bite at the Apple, pp. 14-16
Paul Jones may or may not get a hearing during Bill Clinton's term in office. But it do...
- The Man Who Would Be George, pp. 17-21
Meet Rahm Emanuel, George Stephanopoulos's successor, and the enforcer of Right thinkin...
- Doing the Inaugural Hustle, pp. 22-26
It used to be tasteful and brief. But the presidential inaugural, with its sea of influ...
- The Hard Questions: Anti-Social Security, p. 27
What FDR got wrong
- Neocon v. Theocon: An Exchange, pp. 28-29
Michael Novak and Robert George v. Jacob Heilbrunn
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Marcellino (Review) , pp. 30-31
Evita (1996 Film), by Alan Parker
- Evita (1996 Film) by Alan Parker
[+] The Perfect European (Review) , pp. 32-33
Independent Spirit, by Hubert Butler
- Independent Spirit by Hubert Butler
[+] By Their Own Hands (5 Reviews) , pp. 34-42
At His Side, by A.N. Pirozhkova
- At His Side by A.N. Pirozhkova
- Jews in Russian Literature: After the October Revolution by Efraim Sicher
- Russian Jewish Artists in a Century of Change, 1890-1990 by Susan Tumarkin Goodman
- Arrested Voices by Vitaly Shentalinsky
- The Bones of Berdichev by John Garrard and Carol Garrard
[+] Stages on Art's Way (2 Reviews) , p. 43
Manet's Modernism, by Michael Fried
- Manet's Modernism by Michael Fried
- Edouard Manet: Rebel in a Frock Coat by Beth Archer Brombert
- About the Dead Man Outside, pp. 44-49
- Moscow Diarist: Sick Transit, pp. 50-52
- Cover, illustration