The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 15, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: The Next NAFTA, pp. 4-5
Another fight over globalization is at hand, and President Clinton is already losing it
- Correspondence, p. 6
UNICEF fires back, teachers v. vouchers, etc.
- Simple Does It, pp. 7-10
How to make the tax code less complex without making it less fair
- Notebook, p. 11
Iraqi spies, African Democrats, etc.
- On the Hill: Impeachy Keen, p. 12
For six years Clinton-haters have fantasized about impeaching the president. They final...
- The Hard Questions: Judgment Days, p. 13
Why countries moving from dictatorship to democracy must reckon with the crimes of the ...
- Vladivostok Postcard: City of Blights, pp. 14-16
In Chekhov's time, the easternmost city of the Russian empire was a swamp of poverty an...
- Peter Chase, pp. 17-19
Prosecutors say Ted Kaczynski's diaries incriminate him. But does that give the public ...
- Middle Man, pp. 20-22
Budget chief Franklin Raines is a pragmatist who plays his cards close to the vest---so...
- The Flat Tax Scam, pp. 23-27
The Republicans have a big new plan that will make everyone's taxes lower, simpler, and...
Books and the Arts
- On Films: The Fresh and the Weatherbeaten, pp. 28-29
- On Theater: Reclaiming a Ruined Colossus, pp. 30-31
The clumsy power of Eugene O'Neill's More Stately Mansions
[+] Liberalism Strikes Back (Review) , pp. 32-36
The Era of the Individual, by Alain Renaut
- The Era of the Individual by Alain Renaut
[+] The Fuhrer Furor (Review) , pp. 37-39
The Hitler of History, by John Lukacs
- The Hitler of History by John Lukacs
- The Russian, pp. 40-41
[+] Unphantasmal Peace (Review) , pp. 42-45
The Bounty, by Derek Walcott
- The Bounty by Derek Walcott
- Washington Diarist: Unclean Thoughts, pp. 46-48