The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 11, 1997 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Grover Norquist v. Tucker Carlson, etc.
- TRB: Geronimo!, p. 6
The Times codifies (finally) radical chic
- Security Counsel, p. 7
An idea for real U.N. reform
- Notebook, p. 8
Pseudo-taxes, would-be experts, fake editorials, etc.
- Media Rex: Oh My!, p. 9
Presidential commissions are supposed to be sleepy exercises in concensus-building. But...
- On the Hill: Deja Coup, p. 10
The GOP rebels can't be stupid enough to force another budget train wreck. Wanna bet? T...
- Jakarta Dispatch: Riady's Bank Shot, pp. 11-13
Investigators assume a foreign government used James Riady to curry favor with Clinton....
- Cash and Carey, pp. 14-17
The feds were desperate to keep the Teamsters out of mob hands---so desperate they may ...
- Baghdad on the Plains, pp. 18-21
By depositing a family of Iraqi immigrants in Nebraska, the government hoped to speed t...
- New Bedfellows, pp. 22-26
For decades, Jews and Latinos joined blacks under the banner of left-liberalism. But a ...
- The Hard Questions: Monumental Mess, p. 27
Honoring America's greatness in an era when greatness is taboo
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Theater of the Absurd (Review) , p. 28
Love's Debris (1997 Film), by Werner Schroeter
- Love's Debris (1997 Film) by Werner Schroeter
- On Theater: The Heritage of MXAT, pp. 29-30
The Three Sisters is brought to unruly life at the Moscow Art Theatre
- On Art: A Serpent, A Smile, A Prayer, pp. 31-35
The honly calm of Cambodian sculpture at the National Gallery
[+] Rage and Reason (Review) , pp. 36-41
Life and Death, by Andrea Dworkin
- Life and Death by Andrea Dworkin
[+] The Beginning of the End (Review) , pp. 42-43
Nazi Germany and the Jews, Vol. I, by Saul Friedlander
- Nazi Germany and the Jews, Vol. I by Saul Friedlander
- Joy, pp. 44-45
- New York Diarist: Buckle Up, pp. 46-48