The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 4, 1997 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Harassing Jonathan Rauch, DAREing Stephen Glass, etc.
- TRB: What News?, p. 6
Meet Lanny Davis, editor
- Hun the Attila, p. 7
Hun Sen brings terror back to Cambodia
- Notebook, p. 8
Summer fun: at the movies, on the beach, etc.
- Philadelphia Postcard: Lamefellas, p. 9
You call this a bomb?
- Mexico City Dispatch: Viva La Devolucion, p. 10
The good news is Mexicans finally had free elections. The bad news is who won
- Jerusalem Dispatch: Soldier of Fortune, p. 11
Labor voters chose a military hero to challenge Netanyahu, but he won't win unless he c...
- Mexia Rex: Might Have Been, pp. 12-15
This pop-culture magazine had wit, irreverence and guts. No wonder it folded
- About Face, pp. 16-19
Experts hail an in-your-face program called STRIVE that molds welfare recipients into u...
- Under the Underclass, pp. 20-24
President Clinton says only the private sector can make welfare reform work, but corpor...
- The Hard Questions: Our Bodies, our Clones, p. 25
Women's new biological obsession
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Intimacies (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Mrs. Brown (1997 Film), by John Madden
- Mrs. Brown (1997 Film) by John Madden
- Alive and Kicking (1997 Film) by Nancy Meckler
[+] Sinn Feign (Review) , pp. 27-31
Before the Dawn: An Autobiography, by Gerry Adams
- Before the Dawn: An Autobiography by Gerry Adams
[+] Levity's Rainbow (Review) , pp. 32-35
Mason and Dixon, by Thomas Pynchon
- Mason and Dixon by Thomas Pynchon
- "Scatology Series", pp. 36-37
[+] Reason the Need (Review) , pp. 38-41
The Last Word, by Thomas Nagel
- The Last Word by Thomas Nagel
- Washington Diarist: Low Blows, pp. 42-44