The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 21, 1997 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Webb Site, pp. 4-5
The president's incuriosity explained
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Peter Edelman and Paul Wellstone reply on welfare, etc.
- Fed Acoompli, p. 9
Alan Greenspan's misplaced certitude
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Gore and Gingrich talk tough to the butchers of Tiananmen, Wesley Clark makes nice to t...
- Class Conflict, pp. 12-13
Governor Pete Wilson has reduced the student-teacher ratio in California schools---and ...
- Pigtown Dispatch: Business as Usual, pp. 14-15
A tale of empowerment zones, well-meaning corporations, inner cities and failure
- A Fine Mess, pp. 16-17
Gingrich's $300,000 ethics fine has threatened his speakership and his savings. Now it'...
- Who's To Judge, pp. 18-19
The blessings, and slights, of multiculturalism
- Mao More Than Ever, pp. 20-24
The West clings to the belief that China has de-Maoed itself and is ready to bloom into...
- The Hard Questions: Ordinary People, p. 25
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Collision Course (2 Reviews) , pp. 26-27
Crash (1996 Film), by David Cronenberg
- Crash (1996 Film) by David Cronenberg
- The Devil's Own (1997 Film) by Alan J. Pakula
- Representing Indians, pp. 28-33
Art, history, and the new museums of the American Indian
[+] The Prince of Protest (Review) , pp. 34-35
Bayard Rustin: Troubles I've Seen, by Jervis Anderson
- Bayard Rustin: Troubles I've Seen by Jervis Anderson
- The Swarm, pp. 36-38
[+] The Uncivilizing Process (Review) , pp. 39-41
The Germans, by Norbert Elias
- The Germans by Norbert Elias
- Washington Diarist: Strait Was the Gate, pp. 42-44