The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
October 14, 1996 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Why Matthew Miller can't save America, etc.
- TRB: Sex Games, p. 6
Why affirmative action isn't about women
- Putting Parties First, p. 7
Abolish the debate commission
- Notebook, p. 8
Bill Clinton's mouth and pen: at war again, etc.
- Race for the Senate: Undead, p. 9
A Democratic rebirth in Idaho
- Jerusalem Postcard: Club Reb, pp. 10-13
The kibosh on kibbutzim
- Campaign Journal: The Quarterback, pp. 14-17
Are Jack Kemp's football metaphors more interesting than his politics?
- Pale Imitation, pp. 18-23
In Republika Srpska the new "democratically elected" leaders are the same old ethnic cl...
- The Last Taboo, pp. 24-32
Most Americans believe in God, Heaven and the Devil, and candidates publicly worship at...
- The Hard Questions: Big Ideas, p. 33
1996 and 1912
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Debt Honored (Review) , pp. 34-35
David Lean: A Biography, by Kevin Brownlow
- David Lean: A Biography by Kevin Brownlow
- On Theater: French Scenes, pp. 36-38
[+] Good Habits (Review) , pp. 39-43
Sisters in Arms, by Jo Ann Kay McNamara
- Sisters in Arms by Jo Ann Kay McNamara
[+] Toward Slouching (Review) , pp. 44-48
The Last Thing He Wanted, by Joan Didion
- The Last Thing He Wanted by Joan Didion
[+] Natural Born Killer (Review) , pp. 49-51
The Unknown Lenin, by Richard Pipes, David Brandenberger, and Vladimir I. Lenin, ...
- The Unknown Lenin by Richard Pipes, David Brandenberger, and Vladimir I. Lenin, ...
- History, pp. 52-53
[+] Saint Elsewhere (Review) , pp. 54-57
Living High and Letting Die, by Peter Unger
- Living High and Letting Die by Peter Unger
- Washington Diarist: Long Goodbye, pp. 58-60