The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 27, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: The Crying Game, pp. 4-5
Enid Waldholtz and the GOP's tearful women
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Are stocks edible?, Lind v. Bhagwati v. Buchanan, etc.
- No Entry, p. 9
The new immigration bill goes after the wrong targets
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
Oily politics, dirty magazines, etc.
- Bench Marked, pp. 12-13
Bob Dole's silly attack on the Clinton judges
- None of the Above, pp. 14-15
Russia's exhilerating, terrifying election
- Shul Daze, pp. 16-18
Can Yiddish be revived, and at what cost?
- Cap Guns, pp. 19-21
If you thought last year's budget wars were bad, try throwing in a presidential campaig...
- The Big East, pp. 22-24
While Bill Clinton seeks a new "partnership" with Russia, Boris Yeltsin is looking for ...
- Party Hearty, pp. 25-27
No, Russia's Communists haven't changed their spots. They're just as authoritarian and ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Some Crime, Some Comedy (2 Reviews) , p. 28
Mulholland Falls (1996 Film), by Lee Tamahori
- Mulholland Falls (1996 Film) by Lee Tamahori
- Cold Comfort Farm (1995 Film) by John Schlesinger
[+] Under the Aspect of Serenity (Review) , pp. 29-32
In the Beauty of the Lilies, by John Updike
- In the Beauty of the Lilies by John Updike
[+] Before Justice (Review) , pp. 33-36
The Decent Society, by Avishai Margalit
- The Decent Society by Avishai Margalit
[+] Wanderer Fantasy (Review) , p. 37
Bury Me Standing, by Isabel Fonseca
- Bury Me Standing by Isabel Fonseca
- Ode to Concrete, pp. 38-39
- In Front of Casa Marcello, pp. 40-41
- Washington Diarist: Organized Labor, pp. 42-44