The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 13, 1996 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Giving a damn about Social Security, Bayonnne wants Cooper, etc.
- TRB: Shell Game, p. 6
A Clinton betrayal on habeas corpus
- Misguided, p. 7
The story behind Israel's missile attack
- Better Late Than Never, p. 8
Clinton's brave abortion veto
- Notebook, p. 9
Farrakhan's man at Harvard, Tswana on the Internet, etc.
- The Press: Bad Trip, p. 10
The Times strolls down memory lane
- Working Girls, p. 11
Can women's anger re-elect Bill Clinton?
- National Insecurity: Dues and Don'ts, pp. 12-13
What we owe the U.N.
- Philadelphia Story, pp. 14-15
Meet Mayor Ed Rendell, master of hype
- Born in the USA, pp. 16-19
Why has America let Liberia fall apart?
- Grow Up, pp. 20-22
It's becoming chic for liberals to claim that the U.S. economy can grow much faster tha...
- Campaign Journal: Surrogates, pp. 23-27
The story of a Dole confidante and a Clinton aide who were enemies in Vietnam and made ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Spring Roundup (5 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
Jane Eyre (1996 Film), by Franco Zeffirelli
- Jane Eyre (1996 Film) by Franco Zeffirelli
- Mrs. Winterbourne (1996 Film) by Richard Benjamin
- The Monster (1994 Film) by Michel Filippi
- The Last Supper (1995 Film) by Stacy Title
- Under the Domim Tree (1994 Film) by Eli Cohen
[+] Les Tres Riches Heures de Martha Stewart (6 Reviews) , pp. 30-34
What to Have for Dinner, by Martha Stewart
- What to Have for Dinner by Martha Stewart
- Special Occasions by Martha Stewart Living Magazine
- Martha Stewart's Menus for Entertaining by Martha Stewart
- Martha Stewart's New Old House by Martha Stewart
- The Wedding Planner by Martha Stewart
- Martha Stewart's Hors D'Oeuvres Handbook by Martha Stewart
[+] Earl Warren Is Dead (Review) , pp. 35-38
Freedom's Law, by Ronald Dworkin
- Freedom's Law by Ronald Dworkin
[+] Mr. Cogito (Review) , pp. 39-41
Descartes: An Intellectual Biography, by Stephen Gaukroger
- Descartes: An Intellectual Biography by Stephen Gaukroger
- Summer Evening, pp. 42-45
- Washington Diarist: Scary, pp. 46-48