The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 15, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Kozol, Sykes, Mosle: a schoolyard rumble in the Bronx, etc.
- TRB: The End of Obscenity, p. 6
The courts say cyberporn should be protected. So should the old-fashioned printed kind
- Before They Become Extinct, p. 7
Pan-Arabism in Cairo, once again
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The black church fire alarm, Hillary feels Gandhi's pain, etc.
- Campaign '96: The New Boss, p. 10
Can a shot of Rummy save Dole?
- The Press: Airball, p. 11
New York's new daily misses the target
- Jerusalem Postcard: Lost in America, pp. 12-13
Bibi's fears of betrayal
- Welcome to the Olympic Village, pp. 14-19
Atlanta hypes itself as an engine of social and economic change. But is the Olympic Cit...
- Loathing in Las Vegas, pp. 20-24
A political reporter receives in the mail, anonymously, a Ku Klux Klan membership card ...
- The Hard Questions: Tolerating the Tolerant, p. 25
Can Bob Dole think abortion is murder and still welcome pro-choicers into the GOP tent?
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Nuggets, News, Enigma (3 Reviews) , p. 26
In the Blink of an Eye, by Walter Murch
- In the Blink of an Eye by Walter Murch
- Maybe...Maybe Not (1996 Film) by Sonke Wortmann
- The Visitors (1993 Film) by Jean-Marie Poire
- On Theater: Shepard's Choice, pp. 27-28
Sam Shephard's Buried Child reflects collective decay; his new book of stories, Cruisin...
[+] Over the Rainbow (Review) , pp. 29-33
Jesse: The Life and Pilgrimage of Jesse Jackson, by Marshall Frady
- Jesse: The Life and Pilgrimage of Jesse Jackson by Marshall Frady
[+] Whatever Lola Wanted (Review) , pp. 34-35
Lola Montez: A Life, by Bruce Seymour
- Lola Montez: A Life by Bruce Seymour
- Diversion, pp. 36-37
[+] The Immoralist (Review) , pp. 38-41
Ill-Gotten Gains, by Leo Katz
- Ill-Gotten Gains by Leo Katz
- Washington Diarist: All Is Well, pp. 42-44