The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 8, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Halprin v. TNR on lying, Tribe v. TNR on discrimination, etc.
- TRB: Sandramandered, p. 6
The racial districting mess gets worse
- More of the Same, p. 7
The country Russia is becoming
- Notebook, p. 8
TNR's new editor, TNR's newest reader, etc.
- Antisocial Text, p. 9
Has the PLO Charter recognized Israel?
- Moscow Postcard: Devil You Know, p. 10
Russia's big winner: fear
- White House Watch: Pair of Pariahs, p. 11
Is Hillary Newt?
- Sins of Admission, pp. 12-15
A proposal on affirmative action
- Agitpol, pp. 16-17
Can Dick Lamm save the '96 campaign?
- The Arabist, pp. 18-19
Meet the State Department's Middle East guru, Dennis Ross, the man who would be the pea...
- Campaign Journal: Crucifixation, pp. 20-25
On the road with black Christians, gay Christians, empire-building Christians and the o...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Mystery, Tyranny, Humbuggery (3 Reviews) , p. 26
Kaspar Hauser (1993 Film), by Peter Sehr
- Kaspar Hauser (1993 Film) by Peter Sehr
- The Man by the Shore (1993 Film) by Raoul Peck
- The Rock (1996 Film) by Michael Bay
- On Art: In Search of the Minotaur, pp. 27-31
Picasso's portraits, William Rubin's vision
[+] Reed in the Wind (2 Reviews) , pp. 32-35
Active Faith, by Ralph Reed
- Active Faith by Ralph Reed
- The Godless Constitution by Isaac Kramnick and R. Laurence Moore
- Mitla, p. 36
[+] The Return of the Natives (2 Reviews) , pp. 37-41
Killing the White Man's Indian, by Fergus M. Bordewich
- Killing the White Man's Indian by Fergus M. Bordewich
- Where White Men Fear to Tread by Russell Means and Marvin J. Wolf
- Washington Diarist: Before, pp. 42-44