The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 1, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The enlightened Middle Ages, in defense of Irving Kristol, etc.
- TRB: Speaker's Corner, p. 6
Newt's other dubious book deal
- Capital Crimes, p. 7
GOP hypocrisy on capital gains tax cuts
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
The military's policies against Nazis, homosexuals, etc.
- White House Watch: The Deal, pp. 10-11
Is there life after the budget?
- On the Hill: After Bob, pp. 12-13
Dole's Senate heirs start jockeying
- Cops, pp. 14-16
On the beat in D.C., where the police can't really win
- Who Shot Johnny?, p. 17
Sady, the answer was obvious. An African American woman tells a story of the communal c...
- Is Everything Race?, pp. 18-20
Liberals should be more leery of playing the race card. Black Americans often suffer th...
- The Impossible Dilemma, pp. 21-25
Yes, there's a serious black crime problem. But yes, the criminal justice system is als...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Future of the Past (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Past Imperfect, by Ted Mico, John Miller-Monzon, and David Rubel
- Past Imperfect by Ted Mico, John Miller-Monzon, and David Rubel
- Visions of the Past by Robert A. Rosenstone
- On Theater: Character and Personality in Shakespeare, pp. 27-29
Why Harold Blooom could play a great Falstaff, Lear or Hamlet
[+] Lucky Jim (Review) , pp. 30-35
The Politics of Diplomacy, by James A. Baker III and Thomas M. DeFrank
- The Politics of Diplomacy by James A. Baker III and Thomas M. DeFrank
[+] Unfathomable Life (Review) , pp. 36-38
View with a Grain of Sand, by Wislawa Szymborska
- View with a Grain of Sand by Wislawa Szymborska
[+] You Can't Be Serious (Review) , p. 39
Genius in Disguise, by Thomas Kunkel
- Genius in Disguise by Thomas Kunkel
- Between Takes, pp. 40-41
- Washington Diarist: Little Women, pp. 42-44