The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 30, 1996 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The readers welcome Michael Kelly, etc.
- TRB: Dangerous Minds, p. 6
Why the fans of charter schools are wrong
- Altered State, p. 7
The formidable Madeleine K. Albright and her not so formidable colleagues
- Notebook, p. 8
The Washington Times is as bad as you think, Nixon is worse, etc.
- Belgrade Postcard: Unstrung Heroes, p. 9
Puppets v. dictators
- Revolution of '96, pp. 10-11
The Consumer Price Indes and the world you thought you knew
- Hiss: Still Guilty, pp. 12-14
Yet more documents show Hiss was, undoubtedly, a spy
- Hawaiian Aye, p. 15
Last week, a Honolulu court again popped the gay marriage question. How many other stat...
- Hazardous to Your Mental Health, pp. 16-19
Warning: the Center for Science in the Public Interest's rantings may endanger common s...
- Neocon v. Theocon, pp. 20-24
The neoconservatives used to have it good. In the arena of right-wing big think, the la...
- The Hard Questions: Paradigm Regained, p. 25
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Troubles (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Some Mother's Son (1996 Film), by Terry George
- Some Mother's Son (1996 Film) by Terry George
- A Leap of Faith (1996 Film) by Jenifer McShane and Tricia Regan
- I Don't Know, p. 27
The Nobel Lecture
- Some People, p. 28
[+] He Couldn't Go On. He Went On (Review) , pp. 29-34
Damned to Fame, by James Knowlson
- Damned to Fame by James Knowlson
[+] Good Riddance (Review) , pp. 35-41
Dossier: The Secret History of Armand Hammer, by Edward Jay Epstein
- Dossier: The Secret History of Armand Hammer by Edward Jay Epstein
- Los Angeles Diarist: Propped Up, pp. 42-44