The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
August 12, 1996 Issue - 23 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-6
The PLO covenant wars continue, polygraphs, etc.
- Sign It, pp. 7-8
If a centrist Democratic president and a Republican congress can't pass an acceptable w...
- Notebook, p. 9
Shrimp as consolation, your own Olympic moment, etc.
- Quogue Postcard: Personal Effects, p. 10
Relics of the TWA crash
- L.A. Lawless, p. 11
What kind of a man defends Radovan Karadzic?
- White House Watch: Where Do I Sign?, pp. 12-13
Clinton on the verge
- Chasing the Cure, pp. 14-16
The Vancouver AIDS conference offers hope
- Blood Money, pp. 17-18
Liddy Dole's Red Cross goes capitalist
Welfare: Where Do We Go From Here?
- The end of work, p. 19
- Hit and myth , p. 19
- Samaritan's dilemma , p. 20
- What we know , p. 20
- Bury it , p. 20
- In an ideal world , p. 21
- The Satellite Revolution, pp. 22-24
Once the sole province of American intelligence, high-grade aerial photos---that can ca...
- The Hard Questions: Bad Publicity, p. 25
The end of privacy
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Women Regarding Women (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Manny and Lo (1996 Film), by Lisa Krueger
- Manny and Lo (1996 Film) by Lisa Krueger
- Walking and Talking (1996 Film) by Nicole Holofcener
[+] Alive Beyond Question (Review) , pp. 27-34
Louis MacNeice: A Biography, by Jon Stallworthy
- Louis MacNeice: A Biography by Jon Stallworthy
[+] A Believer in the City (Review) , p. 35
A Lifetime Burning in Every Moment, by Alfred Kazin
- A Lifetime Burning in Every Moment by Alfred Kazin
[+] Bull in the China Shop (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
The Genesis of Chinese Communist Foreign Policy, by Michael H. Hunt
- The Genesis of Chinese Communist Foreign Policy by Michael H. Hunt
- Weaving the Net by James Shinn
- California, pp. 38-41
- Washington Diarist: Live and Let Die, pp. 42-44