The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
May 1, 1995 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The trouble with class-based affirmative action, etc.
- TRB: Who's Sorry Now, p. 6
Robert McNamara's flexible response
- The Hundred Years' War, p. 7
When is a victory really a defeat?
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Arafat's belated crackdown, Newt's vacuum tubes, etc.
- The Flapjack File: Hillary-Bird, p. 10
Executive cooking lessons
- The Press: Stakeout, p. 11
Media madness in tracking an O.J. juror
- Buck Up, pp. 12-13
We should relax about the dollar's decline
- Good Cop, pp. 14-15
Eric Holder, a Clinton appointee we like
- Confessions of a Buckraker, pp. 16-18
In insisting that journalists should never get paid for speeches, the ethics police hav...
- Be Very Afraid, pp. 19-27
Nuclear and chemical weapons are scary enough, though at least somebody's trying to con...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A Pro's Prose (2 Reviews) , pp. 28-29
Making Movies, by Sidney Lumet
- Making Movies by Sidney Lumet
- Don Juan DeMarco (1995 Film) by Jeremy Leven
- On Photography: The Nude and the Naked, pp. 30-34
Childhood and innocence in the photography of Sally Mann and Jock Sturges
[+] The Good, The Bad, and Gingrich (2 Reviews) , pp. 35-37
Passions and Constraint, by Stephen Holmes
- Passions and Constraint by Stephen Holmes
- Beyond Individualism by Michael J. Piore
- Allen's Point, pp. 38-40
[+] Court Gossip (Review) , pp. 41-45
Lytton Strachey: The New Biography, by Michael Holroyd
- Lytton Strachey: The New Biography by Michael Holroyd
- London Diarist: Hope and Glory, pp. 46-47