The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 27, 1995 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Blacks vs. Latinos, P.C. police vs. Thucydides, I.F. Stone, etc.
- TRB: Cyberbunk, p. 6
The dubious threat of hyperdemocracy
- The Most Dangerous Branch, p. 7
Should the courts balance the budget?
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
We respond to Barbra, David Maraniss's Pulitzer, etc.
- On the Hill: Balancing Act, p. 10
Newt gets stymied in the Senate
- The Rescuers, p. 11
Did the Mexico bailout ruin the global economy?
- National Insecurity: Rock the Casbah, pp. 12-13
The Algeria mess
- Science by Quota, pp. 14-15
The rigid pursuit of racial quotas in research projects could derail science---and harm...
- Choice Words, pp. 16-18
Frances Kissling has been hailed for her pro-abortion rights Catholicism. But does her ...
- Belfast Postcard: The Untroubles, pp. 19-21
For now, it looks as if the irreconcilable in Northern Ireland has been reconciled. For...
- Bell Curve Liberals, pp. 22-25
Once, liberals embraced I.Q. as the triumph of meritocracy over class privilege. What e...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Sunny Sides Up (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Miami Rhapsody (1995 Film), by David Frankel
- Miami Rhapsody (1995 Film) by David Frankel
- Window to Paris (1995 Film) by Yuri Mamin
- On Theater: The Royal Court in Spunky Middle Age, pp. 27-28
The London season: The Man of Mode, The Libertine and Blasted
- The Virtual Sacred, pp. 29-33
[+] Going With the Flow (2 Reviews) , pp. 34-37
And the Stars Were Shining, by John Ashbery
- And the Stars Were Shining by John Ashbery
- Hotel Lautreamont by John Ashbery
[+] Exile and Return (Review) , p. 38
The Frankfurt School, by Rolf Wiggershaus
- The Frankfurt School by Rolf Wiggershaus
- Consolation, pp. 39-41
- Washington Diarist: Lazy Days of Winter, pp. 42-44