The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 20, 1995 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Newt vs. Big Bird, pp. 4-5
Gingrich loses the first found
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Fights in the classroom, rights in China, subway platforms, etc.
- "Barney Fag", p. 9
At last, Dick Armey's words fit his actions
- Notebook, pp. 10-11
George Will's love of the NEH, more boring headlines, etc.
- The Defector, pp. 12-13
How I was tapped by the Liberal Establishment
- White House Watch: Where's the Party?, pp. 14-15
Clinton, alone again
- National Insecurity: Who Lost Mexico?, pp. 16-17
Or have we won it back?
- Very Ex-Cons, pp. 18-19
At least the murder of Jeffrey Dahmer was noticed. An inquiry into the legions of unkno...
- Jerky Boys, pp. 20-21
Memo to Gingrich: workfare programs have a history of degenerating into chaos. One woma...
- The G-Men, pp. 22-29
Newt Gingrich's authoritarian management style is enough to make you yearn for the chao...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Scenes of the Crimes (2 Reviews) , p. 30
Bad Company (1995 Film), by Damian Harris
- Bad Company (1995 Film) by Damian Harris
- Murder in the First (1995 Film) by Marc Rocco
- The Philosopher of Sympathy, pp. 31-36
The daring humanism of Isaiah Berlin
[+] The Artist-Adventurer (3 Reviews) , pp. 37-40
The many myths of R.L. Stevenson
- Robert Louis Stevenson: The Complete Short Stories by Ian Bell and Robert Louis Stevenson
- Robert Louis Stevenson: A Biography by Frank McLynn
- The Letters of Robert Louis Stevenson, 1854-1890 by Bradford Allen Booth, Ernest Mehew, and Robert Louis Stevenson, ...
[+] The Dirt on Communism (2 Reviews) , p. 41
The Fading of the Greens, by Anna Bramwell
- The Fading of the Greens by Anna Bramwell
- Thinking Green! by Petra Kelly
- For Edmund Under a Tree in Summer, pp. 42-45
- New York Diarist: Sunrise, Sunset, pp. 46-48