The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
November 14, 1994 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Builders for Peace fights back, a Pennsylvania German pipes up, etc.
- TRB: Alice in Chains, p. 6
Who's really lying about Social Security?
- Forgotten Ones, p. 7
The economic upturn leaves the neediest behind
- Notebook, p. 8
The secret homosexual origins of the Third Reich, etc.
- Papal Dispensation, p. 9
John Paul II's tour items, remaindered
- Washington Scene: Schwartz Cuts, p. 10
Carol Schwartz is a nice, middle-aged Jewish Republican. Just the person to govern Wash...
- Willing and Able, p. 11
Having quashed health care reform, the medical establishment is now pushing baleful "an...
- Donkey Kong, p. 12
The Democrats find many ways to flail
- The Jersey Boor, pp. 13-14
Why does Frank Lautenberg keep coming back?
- San Joaquin Valley Postcard: Raisin Hell, pp. 15-16
More immigration wars
- Jerusalem: A Tale of One City, pp. 17-25
Christians, Muslims and Jews have all claimed Jerusalem. But for only one group has it ...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Shooting Up (Review) , pp. 26-27
Pulp Fiction (1994 Film), by Quentin Tarantino
- Pulp Fiction (1994 Film) by Quentin Tarantino
- On Art: Twombly Time, pp. 28-31
What Cy Twombly's anomalies say about the current state of painting
[+] Toil and Trouble (Review) , pp. 32-35
Witches and Jesuits, by Garry Wills
- Witches and Jesuits by Garry Wills
- Poem for a New Year, p. 36
[+] Worlds Within Words (Review) , pp. 37-41
A Throw of the Dice, by Gordon Millan
- A Throw of the Dice by Gordon Millan
[+] Washington Diarist: Twin Pique (Review) , pp. 42-44
The Bell Curve, by Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray
- The Bell Curve by Richard J. Herrnstein and Charles Murray