The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 28, 1993 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
The meaning of the meaning of Meaning, etc.
- TRB: Virtual President, p. 6
News analysis from a parallel universe
- The Road from Nowhere, pp. 7-8
A plan for a Clinton revival
- Notebook, p. 9
The tarnish on Peter Tarnoff, slimming at UCLA, etc.
- White House Watch: The Turning, p. 10
Gergen came; Guinier went
- Anti-Anti-Racist, p. 11
The new president of the City College of New York, the sad, vicious cycles of urban rac...
- Hokey Okie, pp. 12-13
What does David Boren think he's up to?
- Court Watch: Banking On Bruce?, pp. 14-15
The legal views of Bruce Babbitt
- Alboutrous, pp. 16-17
The main obstacle to the U.N.'s effectiveness is its officiously ambitious secretary-ge...
- Reverting to Type, pp. 18-20
A report from the U.N. building
- Holiday in Cambodia, pp. 21-25
The U.N.'s time in Cambodia has been hailed as a rare success in accomplishing democrac...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Unafraid of Virginia Woolf (Review) , p. 26
Orlando (1992 Film), by Sally Potter
- Orlando (1992 Film) by Sally Potter
[+] Logic and Sadness (Review) , pp. 27-29
Charles Sanders Peirce: A Life, by Joseph Brent
- Charles Sanders Peirce: A Life by Joseph Brent
[+] The Art of Sympathy (Review) , pp. 30-36
African Laughter, by Doris M. Lessing
- African Laughter by Doris M. Lessing
[+] The Last Judgments (Review) , pp. 37-40
A History of Modern Criticism: 1750-1950, by Rene Wellek
- A History of Modern Criticism: 1750-1950 by Rene Wellek
- The Further Travels of Marco Polo, p. 41
- Washington Diarist: From Shove to Push, pp. 42-44