The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 15, 1993 Issue - 17 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Scalia's originalism, Buckwheat Zydeco's real name, etc.
- TRB: Thinking of Hillary, p. 6
The perils of creeping Rodhamism
- Arms and the Men, pp. 7-8
Most advisers argue that Clinton should not waste political capital on gays in the mili...
- Notebook, p. 9
Bill Clinton and Chauncey Gardner, Thurgood Marshall's legacy, etc.
- Consumed: Cross-Buying, p. 10
The netherworld of women's clothing
- White House Watch: Major Dud, p. 11
Clinton, gays and the top brass
- Good Help, pp. 12-14
The real Zoe Baird question was why she hired illegal Latinos over legal blacks. A guid...
- Pontida Postcard: Bossi Boots, p. 15
The neofascist independence movement of Lombardy and its strange, autocratic leader
- The Bodyguards, pp. 16-20
Meanwhile, in Somalia, American troops are still helping the relief effort. Or are they...
- The Godmother, pp. 21-25
Marian Wright Edelman, foundre of the Children's Defense Fund, is the patron saint of B...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Out of the Past (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Riff-Raff (1993 Film), by Ken Loach
- Riff-Raff (1993 Film) by Ken Loach
- Olivier Olivier (1993 Film) by Agnieszka Holland
[+] Subject and Abject (2 Reviews) , pp. 27-35
Michel Foucault, by Didier Eribon
- Michel Foucault by Didier Eribon
- The Passion of Michel Foucault by James Miller
[+] Valuing Life (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-37
Smoking, by W. Kip Viscusi
- Smoking by W. Kip Viscusi
- Fatal Tradeoffs by W. Kip Viscusi
- The Frog in the Swimming Pool, pp. 38-39
[+] The Right Chemistry (Review) , pp. 40-41
Chaim Weizmann: The Making of a Statesman, by Jehuda Reinharz
- Chaim Weizmann: The Making of a Statesman by Jehuda Reinharz
- Washington Diarist: Scanners, pp. 42-44