The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
December 13, 1993 Issue - 18 Articles
- TRB: Stealth Reform, pp. 4-5
Democracy can only do so much
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Dole barks back, Matthews waits for Jackson, etc.
- Feckless in Seattle, p. 9
Clinton's unseemly embrace of China
- Notebook, p. 10
Farewell to Kenneth Burke, abducted by NAFTA, etc.
- Dallas Postcard: Big Dealey, p. 11
At the JFK assassination symposium
- On the Hill: The Producers, pp. 12-13
In its war against television violence, Congress has acted up a storm. Now it wants to ...
- Falling Down, pp. 14-15
A bridge no more
- Free Range, p. 16
The fight over grazing fees has little to do with the West's small ranchers and a lot t...
- Maximum Security, pp. 17-18
The president's unified field theory
- Bitter Pills, pp. 19-20
Will the Clinton health plan kill drug research?
- Old Master, pp. 21-29
Robert Rubin, head of the president's new National Economics Council, isn't just crafti...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: A New Spielberg; and Others (3 Reviews) , p. 30
Schindler's List (1993 Film), by Steven Spielberg
- Schindler's List (1993 Film) by Steven Spielberg
- The Piano (1993 Film) by Jane Campion
- The Accompanist (1993 Film) by Claude Miller
- Of Kings and Divas, pp. 31-43
[+] Pressure Points (Review) , p. 44
The Anatomy of Antiliberalism, by Stephen Holmes
- The Anatomy of Antiliberalism by Stephen Holmes
- Walking Until You Come Home, p. 45
[+] Miro, Miro, On the Wall (Review) , pp. 46-49
Joan Miro, by The Museum of Modern Art
- Joan Miro by The Museum of Modern Art
- Monticello Diarist: Ornamental Farms, pp. 50-52