The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
April 5, 1993 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Not having a nice day, reinventing government, etc.
- TRB: The Fairness Trap, p. 6
Why progressivity isn't everything
- Pro-Death, p. 7
How to stop the new wave of terrorism
- Notebook, pp. 8-9
Lifestyles of the rich and left-wing, new Republican sleaze, etc.
- Les Is More, p. 10
PBS cashes in on inspirational snake oil
- Sarajevo Postcard: Tennis Anyone?, p. 11
Bosnia's oddest magazine
- Waste Watchers, pp. 12-13
Al Gore's been assigned to look for fat and fraud in government. He should start by rea...
- Junk in the Box, p. 14
You may have thought the one thing you could count on in a plane crash was the black bo...
- Group Therapy, pp. 15-16
A dumb idea for racial and gender quotas in biomedical research is about to become law
- Swing Kids, p. 17
After communism, whatever happened to right and left? A guide to the ideological meltdo...
- By a Thread, pp. 18-25
Yeltsin survives---but only just. Here's how we can help him, and what the real consequ...
- King Robert, pp. 26-29
Bob Dole thinks that gridlock is a good thing and that Nixon was a great president. And...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Southern Comforts (Review) , p. 30
Rich in Love (1993 Film), by Bruce Beresford
- Rich in Love (1993 Film) by Bruce Beresford
[+] The Spritzer (Review) , pp. 31-34
Operation Shylock, by Philip Roth
- Operation Shylock by Philip Roth
[+] Trickie Dixie (Review) , pp. 35-37
Strom Thurmond and the Politics of Southern Change, by Nadine Cohodas
- Strom Thurmond and the Politics of Southern Change by Nadine Cohodas
[+] Art and Danger (Review) , pp. 38-41
Art in the Light of Conscience, by Marina Tsvetaeva
- Art in the Light of Conscience by Marina Tsvetaeva
[+] Breaking Away (Review) , pp. 42-44
Uncertain Unions: Marriage in England, 1660-1753, by Lawrence Stone
- Uncertain Unions: Marriage in England, 1660-1753 by Lawrence Stone
- Fragrances, p. 45
- Washington Diarist: Venerable Beads, pp. 46-48