The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 27, 1992 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Boys in school, subways in the afterlife, etc.
- TRB: Can We Stand Pat?, p. 6
Why Buchanan won't be president
- Aljeers, p. 7
The new world order meets the Middle East
- Notebook, pp. 8-10
Bushism bonanza, Quayle revisionism watch, etc.
- Unstudly, pp. 11-13
Why Singapore's smartest people are undersexed
- Cuba Postcard: Soft Cell, p. 14
Our woman in Havana---arrested again
- Short-Termers, p. 15
President Bush and the overpaid CEOs who flew to Japan with him have something in common
- Green Card, pp. 16-17
Want to make the Japanese play fair with American imports? Play hardball with immigrati...
- The Press: The New Censors, p. 18
Some people thought that the end of apartheid would ensure a free press in South Africa...
- BCCI No Evil, pp. 19-21
Orrin Hatch's claims that he didn't know what his sleazy buddies were up to are getting...
- The Tyranny of Choice, pp. 22-25
Americans are raised to believe that more options can only make life better. But too ma...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Dallas (Review) , pp. 26-27
JFK (1991 Film), by Oliver Stone
- JFK (1991 Film) by Oliver Stone
- On Theater: The Dreaming of the Bones, pp. 28-29
New Irish theater: Sean O'Casey's strong The Shadow of a Gunman, Brian Friel's derivati...
[+] The Art of Narcissism (Review) , pp. 30-32
The Runaway Soul, by Harold Brodkey
- The Runaway Soul by Harold Brodkey
[+] Amateur Hour (Review) , pp. 33-34
For a New Russia, by Anatoly Sobchak
- For a New Russia by Anatoly Sobchak
- In Memoriam Paul Celan, p. 35
[+] The Big Hunger (Review) , pp. 36-38
Region of Unlikeness, by Jorie Graham
- Region of Unlikeness by Jorie Graham
[+] Made in the U.S.A. (Review) , pp. 39-41
Exporting Democracy, by Joshua Muravchik
- Exporting Democracy by Joshua Muravchik
- Sante Fe Diarist: Miserabilism, pp. 42-43
Ski bores, etc.