The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 20, 1992 Issue - 20 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Laughing at Iraq, defending dads, Croatian nationalism, etc.
- TRB: Untried and True, p. 6
The best Rx for the economy is the one we've been ignoring for a decade
- Unsupermario, p. 7
Why Cuomo's eclipse is good news for Democrats
- Notebook, p. 8
Time-Warner's Man of the Year, Richard Nixon's moment, etc.
- Bush Protection, p. 9
Why the president's recent tilt against free trade on his trip to Japan isn't exactly a...
- White House Watch: Skinner Dipping, pp. 10-11
You'd think anybody would be an improvement on John Sununu. On the other hand...
- Preoccuped, pp. 12-14
Jerusalem's Jewish fanatics
- Seville Postcard: Show and Tell, p. 15
How the United States became the laughing-stock of the 1992 world's fair in Spain
- Spotty Record, pp. 16-17
Why the new drug for chicken pox isn't needed
- Rerun Season, pp. 18-21
Was 1991 really 1918?
- The Politics of Self, pp. 22-23
So far, Senator Robert Kerrey of Nebraska has organized his campaign around his biograp...
- Careless Kerrey, pp. 24-27
The Nebraskan's checkered past
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Troubled People (3 Reviews) , p. 28
Grand Canyon (1991 Film), by Lawrence Kasdan
- Grand Canyon (1991 Film) by Lawrence Kasdan
- The Prince of Tides (1991 Film) by Barbra Streisand
- Prospero's Books (1991 Film) by Peter Greenaway
- On Art: Adventures in the Skin Trade, pp. 29-31
Jeff Koons's "art"---a blend of kitsch and porn---is a well-hyped exercise in exhibitio...
[+] New Deals (Review) , pp. 32-37
We the People, Vol. I: Foundations, by Bruce Ackerman
- We the People, Vol. I: Foundations by Bruce Ackerman
[+] Elusive Butterfly (Review) , pp. 38-41
Vladimir Nabokov: The American Years, by Brian Boyd
- Vladimir Nabokov: The American Years by Brian Boyd
[+] Music of Loss (2 Reviews) , pp. 42-43
Letters from a Life, Vol. I: 1923-1939, by Benjamin Britten, Donald Mitchell, and Phili...
- Letters from a Life, Vol. I: 1923-1939 by Benjamin Britten, Donald Mitchell, and Philip Reed, ...
- Letters from a Life, Vol. II: 1939-45 by Benjamin Britten, Donald Mitchell, and Philip Reed, ...
- The Consolation of Philosophy (Homage to Salman Rushdie), pp. 44-45
- Moscow Diarist: Gremlins and Goblins, pp. 46-48