The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
January 6, 1992 Issue - 18 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 4-5
Feminists defend Presbyterians, Gary Bauer defends himself, etc.
- TRB: Taking Exception, p. 6
Take the Taking Clause---please
- From Maastricht to Minsk, p. 7
The new European Community and the Commonwealth of Independent States have one thing in...
- Notebook, p. 8
The first author to (nearly) sue himself for libel, etc.
- Coma in the Snow, pp. 8-11
Muscovites acquire a new state
- New York Postcard: Quality of Life, p. 12
In court for dope possession
- Party Pooper, p. 13
Why America loathes third parties
- Gag Me With a Rule, pp. 14-15
Would you believe George Bush forges judicial restraint when it comes to the troublesom...
- The Press: Dirt Trail, pp. 16-17
Ever since the Hill-Thomas fracas ended, the author has tried to find out the real trut...
- C.I.S.O.S., pp. 18-19
The desperate musical chairs of a post-Soviet union
- Sealth-Creators, pp. 20-23
The reason the Pentagon isn't boasting about its cheap, effective stealth fighter plane...
- Tomorrow Belongs to Me, pp. 24-27
Patrick Buchanan, Nixonian rump, enters the race against his nemesis: fellow Nixon pret...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Cool Comforts (Review) , pp. 28-29
Kafka (1991 Film), by Steven Soderbergh
- Kafka (1991 Film) by Steven Soderbergh
- They All Laughed at Christopher Columbus, pp. 30-39
The National Gallery's Circa 1492 is the Blockbuster That Lost Its Nerve, a multicultur...
- Triage, p. 40
[+] The Disappearing Act (Review) , pp. 41-43
The August Coup, by Mikhail Gorbachev
- The August Coup by Mikhail Gorbachev
[+] Two Cheers for Prettiness (Review) , pp. 44-46
Edna St. Vincent Millay: Selected Poems, by Colin Falck and Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Edna St. Vincent Millay: Selected Poems by Colin Falck and Edna St. Vincent Millay
- Washington Diarist: Abracadabrant, p. 47
The bigoted English