The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
September 9, 1991 Issue - 16 Articles
- TRB: Quayle's Case, pp. 4-5
The vice president versus the lawyers
- Correspondence, p. 6
A double standard for Spike Lee, etc.
- The Russian Resolution, pp. 7-8
The coup plotters thought that a central authority could still rule the Soviet Union. H...
- Notebook, p. 9
BCCI's liberal subsidiaries, Random House's swinging party, etc.
- Uniform Failure, pp. 9-10
Soviet coup leaders were crazy to think they could depend on the Red Army
- Bad Cops, pp. 11-14
The Senate Ethics Committee doesn't work. Abolish it
- Rudy's Reversals, pp. 15-17
How former New York prosecutor Rudy Giuliani's assault on white-collar criminals has tu...
- Thomas's Promise, pp. 18-20
Liberals used to like natural rights before they met Clarence Thomas. Why they should t...
- Fallen Star, pp. 21-25
What Marxism didn't destroy in the Soviet economy, Western inflation did. A short histo...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: The Bad Old Days (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Uranus (1991 Film), by Claude Berri
- Uranus (1991 Film) by Claude Berri
- The Story of Boys and Girls (1991 Film) by Pupi Avati
[+] The Child Monarch (2 Reviews) , pp. 27-35
President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime, by Lou Cannon
- President Reagan: The Role of a Lifetime by Lou Cannon
- An American Life by Ronald Reagan
[+] Young Turk (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-38
The White Castle, by Orhan Pamuk
- The White Castle by Orhan Pamuk
- La Maison du Silence by Orhan Pamuk
[+] Tellers of the Soil (Review) , pp. 39-40
The Blue Mountain, by Meir Shalev
- The Blue Mountain by Meir Shalev
- Cancer Ward, pp. 41-42
- Washington Diarist: Sleeping With the Enemy, pp. 43-44