The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
June 24, 1991 Issue - 17 Articles
- TRB: Hortonism Redux, pp. 4-5
Here we go again
- Correspondence, pp. 6-8
Catholics in high school, the Kent State 'guru,' etc.
- The Cynicism Thing, p. 9
If Mr. Bush fails to lead, it's because the only place he wants to bo is his second ina...
- Notebook, p. 10
Newt's welfare statism, etc.
- White House Watch: Uncivil War, pp. 11-12
How civil rights groups exacerbated the president's inclination to play politics with '...
- Insult to Injury, p. 13
The administration's decision to keep out HIV-positive foreigners is a blow to American...
- Party Lines, pp. 14-15
Republicans are touchingly eager for blacks and Hispanics to have their own congression...
- New World Orphan, pp. 16-17
The liberaion of Eritrea marks the re-emergence of one of the world's least noticed---a...
- Revolution '91, pp. 18-19
It's hard to tell whether the political hurricane engulfing the Soviet Union resembles ...
- Life in Hell, pp. 20-25
Soviet coal miners may have the worst job on earth
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Not So Crazy (Review) , p. 26
Gun Crazy (1949 Film), by Joseph H. Lewis
- Gun Crazy (1949 Film) by Joseph H. Lewis
[+] There But for Fortune (8 Reviews) , pp. 27-30
Down and Out in America, by Peter H. Rossi
- Down and Out in America by Peter H. Rossi
- Address Unknown by James D. Wright
- On the Fringe by Henry Miller
- The Excluded Americans by William Tucker
- Out of Bedlam by Ann Braden Johnson
- Madness in the Streets by Rael Jean Isaac and Virginia C. Armat
- Under the Safety Net by Philip Brickner
- What You Can Do to Help the Homeless by Thomas L. Kenyon and Justine Blau
- Maidens, Martinis, Midnight Hours, pp. 31-35
[+] Fierce Managerie (Review) , pp. 36-39
Wolfwatching, by Ted Hughes
- Wolfwatching by Ted Hughes
[+] The Survivor's Voice (Review) , pp. 40-42
From the Old Marketplace, by Joseph Buloff
- From the Old Marketplace by Joseph Buloff
- Jerusalem Diarist: Comfort of Strangers, pp. 43-44
The other Teddy K.