The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 29, 1991 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 2-3
Gail Sheehy's passages, etc.
- TRB: The Right One, p. 4
A soak-the-rich plan from the Heritage Foundation
- Staying There, p. 5
Saddam's nuclear ambitions are another reminder that George Bush hasn't won the Gulf wa...
- Notebook, p. 6
Bush's race quota, etc.
- Los Angeles Postcard: Name Game, p. 7
The suburbs get a makeover
- Unsettling, pp. 8-9
The Bush administration's brewing war with Israel
- Time of Cholera, pp. 10-11
Peru's surprising success against an epidemic
- Doubting Thomas, pp. 12-14
Is the new Supreme Court nominee any less of a judicial activist than Thurgood Marshall?
- The Genius, pp. 15-18
If John Sununu were as smart as he thinks he is, he would have given his relentless soc...
- Sweden Sour?, pp. 19-22
Lingonberry socialism hits the skids
- The Lonely Superpower, pp. 23-27
Running a unipolar world is a dirty job, but someone's got to do it. Better it be us. T...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Intermittent Fever (Review) , p. 28
Jungle Fever (1991 Film), by Spike Lee
- Jungle Fever (1991 Film) by Spike Lee
- On Theater: The Dreams of Ingmar Bergman, pp. 29-30
Producing Strindberg and O'Neill, the Swedish director stages strong night visions
[+] Tiananmen and the Cosmos (7 Reviews) , pp. 31-35
Bringing Down The Great Wall, by Fang Lizhi
- Bringing Down The Great Wall by Fang Lizhi
- Cries for Democracy by Minzhu Han and Sheng Hua
- Beijing Spring, 1989 by Michel Oksenberg, Lawrence R. Sullivan, and Marc Lambert, ...
- The Chinese People's Movement by Tony Saich
- The Pro-Democracy Protests in China by Jonathan Unger
- Hunger Trilogy by Wang Ruowang
- Yan Jiaqi and China's Struggle for Democracy by David M. Bachman and Dali L. Yang
[+] Life Is Elsewhere (2 Reviews) , pp. 36-38
Immortality, by Milan Kundera
- Immortality by Milan Kundera
- Love and Garbage by Ivan Klima
[+] Eyeless In Suez (Review) , p. 39
Suez, by Keith Kyle
- Suez by Keith Kyle
- Postcard of Degas' Washerwomen Carrying Washing, pp. 40-42
- Washington Diarist: Cabalist Kibitzing, pp. 43-44