The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
July 1, 1991 Issue - 19 Articles
- Correspondence, pp. 2-3
Spanish viruses, hacks' facts, etc.
- TRB: Keiretsuphobia, pp. 4-6
The latest bogey from Japan
- Beggar's Opera, p. 7
- Syria's Sins , p. 8
- Notebook , p. 9
- Tolerance 101, pp. 10-11
A compromise proposal in the multicultural wars
- The Press: Hot Air Rising, pp. 12-13
Don't believe everything you read in the papers about the number of victims in Banglade...
- Science and Society: Vaccination Market, pp. 14-15
Discovering an AIDS vaccine may be easy compared with determining how to test and distr...
- Gender Norming, pp. 16-18
Quotas are alive and well---in Foggy Bottom
- Altered States, p. 19
Why liberals should quit searching for rights that aren't in the U.S. constitution and ...
- Funny Money, pp. 20-22
A single European currency might be handy for Euro-yuppies but it won't do much for the...
- This Is Your Death, pp. 23-27
Executions by hanging, shooting, electrocution, poison gas, and lethal injection aren't...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Two for the Road (Review) , p. 28
Thelma and Louise (1991 Film), by Ridley Scott
- Thelma and Louise (1991 Film) by Ridley Scott
[+] The Vanities of Patriotism (2 Reviews) , pp. 29-34
A Very Thin Line, by Theodore Draper
- A Very Thin Line by Theodore Draper
- Opening Arguments by Jeffrey Toobin
[+] The Seer of Prague (3 Reviews) , pp. 35-37
Jan Patocka: Philosophy and Selected Writings, by Erazim Kohak and Jan Patocka
- Jan Patocka: Philosophy and Selected Writings by Erazim Kohak and Jan Patocka
- Heretical Essays in the Philosophy of History by Jan Patocka
- Plato and Europe by Jan Patocka
- Fin de siecle, etc., pp. 38-39
[+] From Ordure to Order (Review) , pp. 40-42
Paris Sewers and Sewermen, by Donald Reid
- Paris Sewers and Sewermen by Donald Reid
- Washington Diarist: Myth America, pp. 43-44
Ladies of the Beltway