The New Republic Archives
The New Republic • 96 Years, 4,504 Issues, 84,793 Articles, 162,453pp
February 11, 1991 Issue - 22 Articles
- TRB: Skin Cancer, pp. 4-5
It's the white thing. You wouldn't understand
- Correspondence, p. 6
Spy bites back, etc.
- War of Nerves, pp. 7-8
Iraq's missile attacks on Israeli cities, and the Palestinian reaction, are a useful re...
- Notebook, p. 9
Bears in nuclear winter, etc.
- Riga Mortis, pp. 9-10
With Lithuania in shock, the people of Latvia prepare to defend their new democracy to ...
- Cairo Postcard: Wheel of Fortune, p. 11
All bets are on
- Dogfight, pp. 11-12
Meanwhile, back in Washington the Republicans and the Democrats are doing what they do ...
- Jerusalem Postcard: Holed Up, p. 13
Notes from an air-raid shelter
- White House Watch: Finest Hour, pp. 14-15
Bush gets a case of Churchill envy
- The Press: Censored, p. 16
The other conflict in the Gulf is the one simmering between the U.S. military and the A...
- Robowar, pp. 17-18
The hi-tech weapons now being deployed in the Gulf could mean that a new era of low-cas...
- Night Flight, p. 19
How come it was so easy in the dark on January 16?
- Whose Agents?, p. 20
The CIA's politics in the war debate
- Blitzed, pp. 21-22
In bombarded Baghdad, they're already making jokes about beleagured Saddam Hussein. A r...
- The Unsheltering Sky, pp. 23-25
The military nostrums now being peddled to defend a land war in Kuwait make no sense. A...
Books and the Arts
[+] On Films: Directing Debuts (2 Reviews) , p. 26
Taxi Blues (1990 Film), by Pavel Lungin
- Taxi Blues (1990 Film) by Pavel Lungin
- The End of Innocence (1990 Film) by Dyan Cannon
- Sentimental Education, pp. 27-31
How Harold Pinter found politics during Mrs. Thatcher's reign and lost his literary voice
[+] The Virtues and the Interests (Review) , pp. 32-34
Republicanism and Bourgeois Radicalism, by Isaac Kramnick
- Republicanism and Bourgeois Radicalism by Isaac Kramnick
[+] America's Illusions (Review) , pp. 35-37
Agents of Influence, by Pat Choate
- Agents of Influence by Pat Choate
- After Degas, pp. 38-40
[+] Bubble, Bubble, Oil and Trouble (Review) , pp. 41-42
The Prize, by Daniel Yergin
- The Prize by Daniel Yergin
- Cambridge Diarist: Dying Myths, p. 43
Lessons from the Gulf